Pepper-Pecan Wild Rice Salad
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 cups California Wild Rice cooked
- 1 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 1/4 cup bruised and freshly chopped freshmint leaves or 1 tsp crushed dried mint
- 4-8 slices roast beef medium or rare (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 4-8 slices cantaloupe or papaya
- romaine lettuce enough for four plates
- Prepare the wild rice.
- Sauté the pecans with the pepper in the safflower oil, pressing the pecans with the back of a wooden spoon to extract some flavor, until the pecans are lightly toasted. There will be a toasted, nutty aroma.
- While the pecans are still hot, toss with the wild rice and the mint.
- Serve garnished with slices of cantaloupe or papaya on romaine lettuce.
- If you wish to add meat, roll up the roast beef slices and arrange with the fruit and salad on lettuce.
- Serves 4, ¾-cup servings of wild rice salad.