Wild Rice Clam Chowder
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
Per serving: 467 calories; 29.7 gm protein; 13.1 gm fat; 54.9 gm carbohydrate; 954 mg sodium; 77 mg cholesterol.
- 1/2 cup California Wild Rice
- 1 1/2 cup salted boiling water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans (7 oz) minced clams, juice reserved about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tobasco
- Rinse wild rice in a colander under cool running water until water runs clear.
- In a small saucepan, add the wild rice to the boiling water, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, to partially cook rice. Drain wild rice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add stock and stir while bringing mixture to a boil.
- Add wild rice and clam juice and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add half-and-half, milk and wine and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Stir in Clams, Worcestershire and Tabasco and heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.