Santa Fe Wild Rice Soup
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Ready to add a little spice to your lunch? Try California wild rice in this spicy combination. It's perfect for any lunch in the sunroom!
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1/3 cup carrots diced
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 3 cans (14 oz) chicken broth divided
- 2 cups California Wild Rice cooked
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dired oregano crumbled
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- Fresh tomato salsa:
- 2 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice or red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine onion, carrots, corn and 1 can broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining broth, California wild rice, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro. Ladle into bowls. Top each bowl with heaping tablespoon of Fresh Tomato Salsa.