Red Cabbage Roulades with Wild Rice Stuffing
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
Commonly used in stuffing, wild rice shines in this recipe.
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 cups California Wild Rice cooked
- 6 oz bacon chopped
- 1 cup onion minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 20 large red cabbage leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- red cabbage roulades
- Combine beef and wild rice; set aside.
- Fry bacon; add to wild rice mixture.
- In bacon drippings, saute onion and parsley 2 minutes; drain. Add to wild rice along with eggs, salt and pepper.
- Spread each cabbage leaf with approximately 1/3 cup wild rice mixture, roll and tie with string.
- Brown roulades on all sides in oil. Add approximately 2 cups broth, cover and braise 45 minutes. Add more broth as needed to keep roulades in liquid.
- Remove roulades from pan and keep warm. Add sour cream to braising juices, reduce liquid slightly, adjust seasonings and serve with roulades.