Wild Rice Oriental Soup
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1.5 cups cooked wild rice
- 8 cups chicken stock seasoned to taste
- 1 whole chicken breast deboned
- 24 fresh small pea pods
- 18 carrot curls* or 1/4-inch diagonal carrot slices
- 2 tsp gingerguice (pressfresh ginger piecesthrough the garlic press)
- Poach the chicken breast in the stock, remove chicken breast and cool.
- Cut into julienne strips.
- Poach pea pods in chicken stock until just tender, about 6 minutes; remove from stock.
- Poach carrot curls in stock about 1 minute (do not overcook).
- Remove from stock and let cool; remove picks, being careful to maintain "curls."
- Strain chicken stock through cheese cloth until it is clear. Add ginger juice to stock and adjust seasonings to taste. Reheat stock to serving temperature.
- Meanwhile, arrange wild rice and chicken strips in the bottoms of 6 bowls. Place 6 poached pea pods in each bowl and divide the stock between bowls, pouring slowly into the sides of bowls.
- Arrange 3 carrot curls in the center of each serving and serve immediately.
- Serves 6, as a first course soup or a light entree.
- *TO MAKE CARROT CURLS: Large, thick carrots are best for these. Scrape carrots. With a vegetable parer, cut wide, thin slice down the length of carrot. Roll the slice around index finger, fasten with a toothpick.