Chicken Wild Rice Salad
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
Add a new twist on a classic summer time favorite. Wild rice takes a chicken salad from good to great
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
- 2 1/2 cups California Wild Rice uncooked
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp each fresh tarragon & chervil minced
- 10 halves chicken breasts boned, skinned
- 1 lb trimmed asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb snow peas strings removed and halved
- 1/2 lb fresh washed spinach
- 30 toasted walnut halves
- 6 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp each dijon mustard and minced shallots
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Salad: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Simmer wild rice in wine and water for 50 minutes or until tender. Boil off any remaining liquid.
- Combine herbs and sour cream; spread on chicken and place in a greased baking pan.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes. If desired, pass under the grill the last 5 minutes, set aside.
- Blanch asparagus and snow peas in boiling water 2 minutes, drain well: toss carefully with wild rice and spinach. Cut chicken diagonally; arrange next to salad.
- Dressing: Mix vinegar, mustard and shallots. Slowly add oil, continuing to whisk. When thickened, salt and pepper; pour over salad. Garnish with walnuts and serve.
- Course: Salad