Wild Rice and Dried Fruit Pilaf
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
Dried fruit and wild rice have always been favored during the holidays, but you can make this dish anytime you want to add a bit of sweetness to your meal!
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup California Wild Rice rinsed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion sliced in thin wedges
- 2 tsp brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- juice from one orange
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Combine chicken broth and wild rice in medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes or until almost tender.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in onion and brown sugar. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and lightly browned.
- Add cooked onions, raisins, cranberries, apricots, orange zest, orange juice and pepper to rice mixture.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is tender and grains have puffed open.
- Stir in parsley.