Wild Rice and Onion Soup
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
The combination of onions and wild rice will leave your taste buds wanting more. Wild rice's texture complements the onions perfectly.
Recipe courtesy of: California Wild Rice Advisory Board
- 4 1/2 lb onions sliced thin
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar optional
- 3 1/3 pints beef broth
- 3 1/3 cup California Wild Rice cooked
- 2 tbsp port wine
- 30 French baguette slices lightly toasted
- 2 2/3 cups grated Gruyere of Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in butter over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring frequently. If desired, sprinkle with sugar. Caramelize approximately 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add half of the broth; simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Add remaining rice; simmer 5 minutes, remove from heat and stir in wine.
- Top each serving with 3 bread slices; sprinkle with cheese. Run under grill to melt cheese. Serve immediately.
- Course: Soup