Wild Rice and Carrot Muffins
By August 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup California Wild Rice cooked
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mulk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 3/4 cup whole weat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegatable oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare wild rice and carrots and set aside. Combine flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl, stirring to blend.
- Add the cooked wild rice to the dry ingredients and toss to coat wild rice.
- In another bowl, combine the egg with the milk and oil; add the grated carrots, then stir these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to blend well. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 lightly buttered and floured (or paper muffin cup-lined) 2½-inch muffin cups.
- Mix 1 tbsp. sugar with ¼ tsp cinnamon for topping and sprinkle this over muffin batter.
- Bake at 400° 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pans and cool on wire racks.
- For frosted muffins: to make frosting, blend 1 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened to room temperature with 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, blend until smooth by hand or with mixer. When muffins are cool, spread frosting on tops.